Horseback Riding Camp
Whether you’re a novice, expert or somewhere in between, come enjoy a week of exciting activities centered around horses! Learn English- and Western-style riding, grooming tips, lunging, pony cart driving and more. Led by PATH certified trainers.
- Weekly camps for all youth: beginners to advanced
- Ages: 7-13
- Dates: 10 one-week camp sessions offered Monday-Thursday, June 6 - August 21, 2016 (excluding July 4-7)
- Week 5: July 11-14
- Week 6: July 18-21
- Week 7: July 25-28
Week 8: August 1-4FULL Week 9: August 8-11FULL Week 10: August 15-18FULL
- Transportation times: Edina, 8:15 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Drop off and pick-up times for non-transportation campers: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Ratio of campers to trainers: 3:1 on the horses; 5:1 on the ground
- Capacity: 10 campers
- Cost: $455 per week with transportation; $395 per week without transportation
- Children with special needs will need to be individually evaluated in order to participate to maintain safety standards for all involved
- 100 percent of proceeds used to support Erik's Ranch & Retreats nonprofit
- Special 10% discount off the total price of the session if registering multiple siblings or referring a friend. Once the first sibling's registration & payment is complete, you will be given a 10% discount promo code to enter during paying process check-out for each additional child. Registration and payment required from both referral parties in order for the discount amount to be refunded.
Transportation pick-up sites:
- 3456 Heritage Drive, Edina, Minn., 55435 (in the Tiffany building parking lot)
- Super America Gas Station off 52 and 494, 1200 Mendota Heights Rd, Mendota Heights, MN 55120
90% of time spent is equine centric
Schedule may include:
- Horseback riding, driving and lunging 4 hours per day
- Horse driving: learn to drive a pony cart
- General horse knowledge and care: riding styles, breed types, tack repair
- Groundwork and communication through body language
- Horse safety and confidence building
- Pre-show grooming including soap painting, mane and tail braiding
- Parents are invited to come to an open house Thursday of camp at 2:00 p.m.
Location: This Old Horse, 19025 Coates Blvd., Hastings, MN 55033
Please bring the following to camp each day:
- Lunch and beverages – coolers available to keep lunches, snacks and beverages cool
- Morning snack
- Bathing suit and towel
- Boots with a heel or tennis shoes
- Long pants required for riding
- Riding helmet if you have one
With more than 40 years combined experience, our qualified trainers, Sophia Nordberg and Brandon Pribula, bring extensive riding and training knowledge as well as their passion for helping children further develop and enhance their riding skills to camp. Sophia spent eight years in saddle seat competitions, two and a half years jumping and is also experienced in Western riding. Brandon calls on his experience in Western riding disciplines such as reining, as well as English techniques such as dressage to teach his students. Both are active trainers in Erik’s Ranch & Retreats’ riding programs for individuals with special needs.
The small camper to trainer ratio (5:1) will allow beginner riders to leave camp with new skills centered around horseback riding, grooming, safety and much more. For those campers with a solid understanding of riding, the small group is conducive to further expanding and enhancing core competencies. Once enrolled for camp, refunds will not be issued.
Erik's Ranch & Retreats
Launched in 2008, Erik’s Ranch & Retreats is a first-of-its-kind living, working and social environment for young adults with autism who operate boutique-style guest accommodations at two locations: the Retreat in Edina, Minn., and Erik’s Ranch, in Paradise Valley, Mont. Erik’s Ranch & Retreats provides members with excellent housing, socialization and recreational opportunities and the ability to use their talents, follow their dreams and lead lives full of promise and possibility.
For additional information, please call 612-222-9665 or firstname.lastname@example.org.